(1882 - 1891)
It was the first Condotte's project finance In 1881 Condotte purchased from Villoresi’s heirs the concession for the derivation of water from River Ticino and volunteered to build the canal without the obligation of the underwriting campaign and with a subsidy of two million lire from the Province of Milan.
Excavations began in January 1882 and on 28 April 1884 the first 45 kilometres stretch was inaugurated.
After some financial difficulties, overcome thanks to a loan granted by the Cassa di Risparmio di Milano with the section of the canal that had already been built, pledged as collateral security, the works were completed in 1891.
The completed works included the main canal with a flow rate of 50 cubic metres of water per second, that was 80 kilometres long of which 16 were dug along the hillside and 64 on flatland; 175 kilometres of secondary canals, and around 1,000 kilometres of tertiary canals, built with the contribution of the landlords being served.